[AEJMC Newspaper Division list] (no subject)

Dr. Dane S. Claussen dsclaussen at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:40:41 CDT 2010

Changing the subject from the Division name for a bit, I need to pick your brains a bit.  I know a Bangladeshi couple (mid-20s) who live in Dhaka and are interested in coming to the USA for an M.A. program in print journalism, but each need a graduate assistantship to afford to come here, and they (understandably) want to be at the same university.  Yousuf Mohammed spent several years as a subeditor (copyeditor) at the online edition of the Dhaka Daily Star (see: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/index.php), and before that at the English-language, online only BDnews24 (see: http://www.bdnews24.com/). His wife, Nafida, teaches journalism and communication at Stamford University in Dhaka. They both were top graduates from both the B.A. and M.A. programs in journalism at Dhaka University, the oldest, largest, and best university in Bangladesh (website is: www.univdhaka.edu, but down as I write this, perhaps just due to a temporary power outage). They're both studying like mad these days for the TOEFL and GRE, and are taking the TOEFL in early October.  Although I only met only in May, when I was in Dhaka, I have known Yousuf for nearly three years and can vouch for his intelligence, English skills, determination, journalism experience, and especially his self-discipline.  I know that Southern Illinois U.--Carbondale's journalism program has had many Bangladeshi students over the years. So any other ideas where Yousuf and Nafida possibly or probably could be both admitted and land graduate assistantships? (I would suggest my own institution, but our two primary print graduate assistantships are both in our innocence project.) Please respond off-list to me at: dsclaussen at hotmail.com
Thanks so much, Dane Claussen, Point Park U.