[AEJMC Newspaper Division list] An Old Coot's thoughts about the"Newspaper" Division

Judith L Sylvester jsylves at lsu.edu
Tue Aug 10 17:24:59 CDT 2010

------------------------------------
Judith Sylvester
SmokingWords
Manship School of Mass Communication
221 Journalism Building
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA  70803-7202
225 578-2067 Office
225 578-2125 FAX

________________________________

From: news-list-bounces at aejmc.net on behalf of MARTIN HALSTUK
Sent: Tue 8/10/2010 12:40 PM
To: Carrie Brown
Cc: news-list at aejmc.net
Subject: [AEJMC Newspaper Division list] An Old Coot's thoughts about the"Newspaper" Division

Hello:

I am an old coot. I LOVE newspapers. I used to be city editor of the San Francisco Examiner and a business editor at the Los Angeles Times. I was a reporter at the Oakland Tribune and at the San Francisco Chronicle.

I do not text, I do not twitter, I do not use "friend" as a verb. I've never seen MySpace or Facebook--I don't want to. I still get ink on my hands from turning the pages of newspapers--which I've done every day of my life, since I could read. (I remember reading stories about Ike for President.)

That said, I am loathe to admit it--but to continue to call our division the "Newspaper" Division does not serve our division's future nor recognize the hard realities of media convergence and current news-audience practices and preferences.

Fact is, the profession that we used to love does not really exist any longer in practical terms for a plethora of reasons including, but not limited to, technology and economics.

It pains me to say so, but: It is what it is. How about the "News Media" Division, which could comprise newsprint newspapers along with online newspapers, and maybe even NEWS "blogs" --which I DO NOT READ but do realize that the news-consumer audience younger than I, which is damn near everyone, does.

Best wishes to all,
Martin Halstuk