[AEJMC Newspaper Division list] name change

Charlyne R Berens cberens1 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Aug 10 15:47:03 CDT 2010

As someone who is most definitely an OLDER faculty member, I say "Amen!"
Charlyne Berens

Sent from my iPad

Of Carrie Brown [carrielisabrown at gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 1:26 PM
> To: news-list at aejmc.net
> Subject: Re: [AEJMC Newspaper Division list] name change
>
> Just a quick two cents. I personally don't care passionately about the
name - as I believe Phil Meyer said, it's not so much about what the
individual division is named but about the overall organization of AEJMC.
But the passionate defenses of newsprint on this listserv do, with all due
respect, convince younger faculty members such as myself and folks in the
industry of our increasing lack of relevance (e.g.
http://www.digitaldeliverance.com/2010/07/31/aejmc/). Regardless of the
high esteem we may place on newspapers, my research partner and I have
collectively spent months actually visiting them and conducting well over
100 interviews in the past two years, and what they are desperately in need
of from the academic community is forward-thinking research on how they can
change, build a business model, and enhance the core values of journalism
using the many tools the Web makes available to us.  I'd like to see the
same level of passion and interest in THAT kind of discussi!
>  on as I so frequently hear from this division about how sad or scary
change is and how we must continue to venerate newsprint.

> --
> Carrie Brown-Smith, Ph.D
> Assistant Professor
> University of Memphis
> Department of Journalism
> 314 Meeman
> cell:  202-251-5719
> Brown.Carrie at memphis.edu<mailto:Brown.Carrie at memphis.edu>
> carrielisabrown at gmail.com<mailto:carrielisabrown at gmail.com>
> changingnewsroom.wordpress.com<http://changingnewsroom.wordpress.com>
> @brizzyc
>
> If, and only if, journalists themselves become active, aggressive and
vocal participants in the debate and the decisions about the future of
journalism and, with public support, can successfully navigate the
transition into cyberspace with their stated values intact, will journalism
or democracy survive the 21st Century...."  --Bill Kovach