[AEJMC Newspaper Division list] An Old Coot's thoughts about the "Newspaper" Division

MARTIN HALSTUK Halstuk at psu.edu
Tue Aug 10 12:40:54 CDT 2010

Hello:

I am an old coot. I LOVE newspapers. I used to be city editor of the San
Francisco Examiner and a business editor at the Los Angeles Times. I was a
reporter at the Oakland Tribune and at the San Francisco Chronicle.

I do not text, I do not twitter, I do not use "friend" as a verb. I've never
seen MySpace or Facebook--I don't want to. I still get ink on my hands from
turning the pages of newspapers--which I've done every day of my life, since I
could read. (I remember reading stories about Ike for President.)

That said, I am loathe to admit it--but to continue to call our division the
"Newspaper" Division does not serve our division's future nor recognize the
hard realities of media convergence and current news-audience practices and
preferences.

Fact is, the profession that we used to love does not really exist any longer
in practical terms for a plethora of reasons including, but not limited to,
technology and economics.

It pains me to say so, but: It is what it is. How about the "News Media"
Division, which could comprise newsprint newspapers along with online
newspapers, and maybe even NEWS "blogs" --which I DO NOT READ but do realize
that the news-consumer audience younger than I, which is damn near everyone,
does.

Best wishes to all,
Martin Halstuk

On Mon, Aug  2, 2010 02:26 PM, Carrie Brown <carrielisabrown at gmail.com> wrote:

>Just a quick two cents. I personally don't care passionately about the name -
as I believe Phil Meyer said, it's not so much about what the individual
division is named but about the overall organization of AEJMC. But the
passionate defenses of newsprint on this listserv do, with all due respect,
convince younger faculty members such as myself and folks in the industry of
our increasing lack of relevance (e.g.
<http://www.digitaldeliverance.com/2010/07/31/aejmc/>). Regardless of the high
esteem we may place on newspapers, my research partner and I have collectively
spent months actually visiting them and conducting well over 100 interviews in
the past two years, and what they are desperately in need of from the academic
community is forward-thinking research on how they can change, build a business
model, and enhance the core values of journalism using the many tools the Web
makes available to us.  I'd like to see the same level of passion and interest
in THAT kind of discussion as I so frequently hear from this division about how
sad or scary change is and how we must continue to venerate newsprint.

>--
>Carrie Brown-Smith, Ph.D
>Assistant Professor
>University of Memphis
>Department of Journalism
>314 Meeman
>cell:  202-251-5719
><#>
><#>
><http://changingnewsroom.wordpress.com>
>@brizzyc
>
>If, and only if, journalists themselves become active, aggressive and vocal
participants in the debate and the decisions about the future of journalism
and, with public support, can successfully navigate the transition into
cyberspace with their stated values intact, will journalism or democracy
survive the 21st Century...."  --Bill Kovach

>DEMOCRACY DEPENDS ON JOURNALISM

Martin E. Halstuk, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
College of Communications