[AEJMC Newspaper Division list] Financial literacy seminar

John Carvalho carvajp at auburn.edu
Thu Jul 2 15:28:09 CDT 2009

A colleague in another division asked if I would send this out to our
list:

Hi. I am writing to tell you about an unusual workshop I will be
presenting at the AEJMC convention in August and to request your help

in publicizing it. The session is "Teaching Financial Literacy" and it

will be on Aug. 4. Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

The workshop is designed for anyone teaching students how to read and

understand financial documents published by media and general business

firms. It is sponsored by the Media Management and Economics Division.

Many journalism and mass comm professors (and their professional
counterparts) have only a modest understanding of financial
statements, budgets and the like. I have been teaching these subjects

for more than 25 years and in the past several years have conducted
workshops for faculty members on how to teach financial literacy. Here

is a description of the workshop:

Teaching Financial Literacy --

In the wake of the market collapse and the financial challenges facing

most companies, more than ever students need to understand financial
information - income statements, balance sheets, budgets, markets,
etc. This highly interactive session will cover basic financial
statements and how to effectively engage students in understanding and

analyzing them.

Time and date: 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 4.

For information, contact James K. Gentry at jgentry at ku.edu or
785-218-4755.

$25 fee for session to pay for materials and refreshments provided by

MME.

Important --

If you plan to attend this workshop, please send an email to Professor

Gentry (jgentry at ku.edu) to let him know of your intentions by July 10.

This way the division will have handouts and refreshments for all
attendees.

About the Presenter --

James K. Gentry is a professor at the School of Journalism and Mass
Communication at the University of Kansas. He received the Barry
Sherman Teaching Award from the Media Management and Economics
Division in 2008. The award recognizes excellence and innovation in
teaching of media management and economics. He has taught thousands of

corporate communicators and professional journalists how to understand

financial statements.

John Carvalho
Assistant Professor of Journalism
Auburn University