Editing Breakfast of Champions set for 8:15 a.m. Aug. 10
From Andy Bechtel, UNC-Chapel Hill
Let’s have breakfast in Chicago
The Breakfast of Editing Champions returns to the AEJMC national conference in Chicago on Friday, Aug. 10. I’m the organizer and moderator for the event, succeeding the wonderful Deborah Gump in that role.
The breakfast, which will begin at 8:15 a.m., is free and open to anyone who teaches editing, appreciates editing or simply likes to hang around editing professors. That should be pretty much everyone, right?
This year’s breakfast is BYOB: Bring Your Own Bagel. I’m working on providing coffee for everyone. If you would like to attend, please RSVP by signing up here. Please do so by Monday, Aug. 6.
The agenda is simple, yet fundamental to journalism that matters: the future of editing and editing education. This year’s breakfast will include a panel discussion on the teaching of social media in editing courses. Panelists will be:
- Amy Bartner, social media editor at The Indianapolis Star
- Sue Burzynski Bullard, University of Nebraska
- Scott Kleinberg, social media consultant, Tribune Company
- Leslie-Jean Thornton, Arizona State University
A highlight of the breakfasts has been the Teaching Idea Exchange, in which we swap assignments and strategies. Jill Van Wyke of Drake University will again handle the exchange this year, so send your best teaching idea or tip to her at email@example.com by Tuesday, July 31. Send her a few paragraphs on your idea and be ready to discuss it for a minute or two at the breakfast.
Special thanks to the sponsors of this year’s breakfast:
- American Copy Editors Society (www.copydesk.org)
- Newspaper and Online News Division of AEJMC (http://aejmc.net/newspaper)
- Poynter’s News University (http://www.newsu.org)
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication at UNC-Chapel Hill (http://jomc.unc.edu)
See you in Chicago!